Opens online at www.ebmud.com/jobs on Monday, August 23, 2021
Online applications must be received by 4:30 p.m., Friday, September 10, 2021
Internal Reference # 21-118
Under general direction of the Manager of Wastewater Treatment, the Wastewater Treatment Superintendent plans, organizes, schedules, directs, coordinates, and reviews the operation of wastewater collection, treatment and disposal system, and wet weather treatment and recycled water treatment facilities to ensure safe, compliant, and efficient operation.
Typical duties include:
• Planning, organizing, supervising, and reviewing the work of supervisors and staff engaged in the operation and routine maintenance of wastewater collection, treatment and disposal system, and wet weather treatment and recycled water treatment facilities.
• Planning and directing the assignment of personnel.
• Establishing and directing a process quality control program in coordination with engineering and laboratory personnel to ensure compliance with established standards, contracts and regulations.
• Monitoring equipment performance and coordinating with the Maintenance Superintendent to ensure equipment and process reliability.
• Directing long-range planning, development, and operational improvement.
• Compiling statistical records and preparing periodic and special reports as required.
• Providing group and individual training of staff in proper operations, routine and preventive maintenance, quality control testing procedures and equipment, and safety.
• Preparing annual budget recommendations and reviewing expenditures to ensure that operations remain within budget.
• Developing, implementing, and monitoring cost control procedures and standards.
• Directing the selection, evaluation and development of new employees.
• Resolving employer/employee relation problems.
• Monitoring advances in operating procedures, maintenance techniques, new equipment and materials, and governmental regulations pertaining to wastewater treatment.
The salary range is $13,370 per month, increasing to $14,038, $14,740 and $15,477 after 6, 18, and 30 months, respectively.
East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD) offers an excellent benefits program that includes: paid vacation, holidays and sick leave; family health insurance coverage; family dental and vision care plans; retirement plan (reciprocal with CalPERS); 401(k), 401(a) and 457(b) tax-deferred retirement plans; transit subsidy; tuition reimbursement; and opportunities for professional growth including training and career development.
1. A bachelor’s degree, with major course work in sanitary or environmental engineering, or a field closely related to wastewater treatment; AND
2. Two years of experience at a wastewater treatment facility which utilized an activated sludge secondary treatment process as either:
a. A supervisor of treatment operations; OR
b. An engineer with duties that involve directing the work of others.
3. Must possess a State of California Grade V Wastewater Plant Operator’s Certificate.
4. Must possess a valid California driver’s license and have a satisfactory driving record.