East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD) invites qualified candidates to apply for this temporary position (up to six months) in the Resource Recovery (R2) Group of the Wastewater Department. The R2 Program is responsible for managing industrial and commercial wastewaters that are delivered to the wastewater treatment plant by truck. The R2 Program also manages sales of surplus renewable energy from the production of biogas.
Primary duties for this position include working directly with customers to market, develop, and permit new waste accounts, ongoing customer relations, data analysis and trending, accounts receivable monitoring, and business continuity for the Program. The Representative is responsible for collecting, assembling, and reporting Program data for deliveries and revenues. Additionally, the Representative is responsible for surplus renewable energy sales administration and reporting.
Competitive candidates will have current experience involving frequent contact with multiple stakeholder groups including commercial and industrial businesses, the public, consultants, environmental groups, and regulatory agencies in situations which require technical expertise and effective written and verbal communication skills.
Knowledge of environmental regulations such as the Clean Water Act; environmental principles, practices and terminology preferably related to wastewater pretreatment, pollution prevention, or comparable environmental areas; basic scientific principles, laboratory tests and terminology related to environmental control; math, algebra, and the use of formulas and tables; and pollution prevention techniques and best management practices.
Skill in organizing and assembling data; conducting comprehensive investigations and producing reports summarizing the investigation; and making recommendations based on analysis of information obtained.
Ability to interact effectively and sensitively with others in order to provide information, enforce requirements and provide customer service; compose documents using correct English; speak effectively to groups and individuals; present technical information to technical and non-technical audiences; organize and prioritize work to meet deadlines; and work without close supervision.
NOTE: The recruitment for this temporary position will not result in the establishment of a civil service list.
1. Completion of four years of college, resulting in graduation or its equivalent, with major work in chemistry, biology, environmental science, or closely related field, and
2. Two years of experience involving the inspection, investigation and evaluation of wastewater processes and discharges; OR equivalent experience in administering regulations or best management practices in industrial/commercial pollution prevention, resource protection, or environmental compliance.
1. Must be physically capable of performing the critical and important duties of the class.
2. May be required to be clean-shaven as required to wear respiratory protection equipment.
3. Must be willing to work overtime as needed.