Opens online at www.ebmud.com/jobs on Monday, August 23, 2021
Online applications must be received by 4:30 p.m., Friday, September 10, 2021
Internal Reference # 21-123T
East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD) invites qualified employees/applicants to apply for this temporary position (up to six months) in the Field Services Section of our Wastewater Department.
Primary activities of a Wastewater Control Inspector II include:
• Conducting Private Sewer Lateral (PSL) inspections, which involves witnessing pressure tests of PSLs as required under EBMUD’s Regional PSL Ordinance
• Collecting representative samples of wastewater and water from industrial, commercial, and institutional sources, from various interceptor, city, and storm sewer, and from San Francisco Bay.
• Determining appropriate sampling locations and methods; uses appropriate sample containers and sample preservation methods; may perform field tests on samples collected.
• Observing and recording field conditions, flow meter readings, field test results, and other data relevant to sampling conditions.
• Investigating and tracing the sources of illegal waste discharges entering EBMUD’s wastewater collection system.
• Performing a variety of well-defined physical, chemical, biological, and bacteriological tests on the samples collected.
• Preparing a variety of written, oral, tabular, and graphic reports which often require calculations; preparing notices of requirements and violations of EBMUD regulations.
• Preparing data for entry into data processing systems; reviewing computer generated reports for errors and corrections.
• Contacting industrial, commercial, and institutional accounts to obtain access, observe processes, obtain samples, and investigate complaints.
• Explaining EBMUD’s wastewater source control program to industry and institutional representatives, persons from other agencies, and the public; explaining procedures and policies related to discharge permit, monitoring, charges, enforcement, etc.
• Operating, cleaning, and performing routine maintenance and calibration of laboratory and sampling equipment.
NOTE: The recruitment for this temporary position will not result in the establishment of a civil service list.
1. A high school diploma or its equivalent and two years of experience in chemical or biological laboratory work or work providing a knowledge of wastewater treatment processes, supplemented by satisfactory completion of college level laboratory or wastewater technology courses; or one year as a Wastewater Control Inspector I with EBMUD.
2. Must possess a valid California driver's license and have a satisfactory driving record.
3. Must possess physical characteristics to perform the critical and important duties of the class, including sufficient strength to move manhole covers weighing 60 pounds and sufficient swimming ability to enter the water fully clothed and stay afloat at least five minutes.
4. Must be willing to work weekends, holidays or off-hour shifts as required. Must be willing to work overtime as needed.
5. May be required to be clean shaven on a scheduled basis as required to wear respiratory protection equipment.