Senior Maintenance Worker (2 positions)
Salary: $8,378.93 – $10,731.07 Monthly
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Number: 01304-E
Location: CA, CA
Department: Watersheds Operations and Maintenance
Closing: 9/7/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
Vegetation Field Operations (Position Codes 1058 and 1060 – 2 positions available)
Do you have your Qualified Applicator Certificate, at least six years of experience in the integrated vegetation management field, and experience leading or directing relevant projects? Do you have your Class B driver license with experience operating equipment such as water trucks, compactors, dump trucks, skip loaders, forklifts, trenchers, Bobcats, etc.? If so, check out this opportunity!
The Senior Maintenance Worker (SMW) position provides lead support and direction to Unit staff performing vegetation field operations program activities. Duties include providing direction to subordinate Unit staff and contract labor, ensuring pesticide compliance and compliance with environmental permits. The SMW will also perform field investigations and surveys, make calculations of work impacts and record associated data, estimate materials, and labor for work activities, and oversee work in progress. Additional responsibilities include preparing daily reports of work accomplished, working with internal and external customer concerns, and providing direct support to supervisory and management staff.
*We are seeking to fill two (2) positions.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Oversight and direction of work crews performing integrated vegetation management activities.
• Performing field assessments, quantifying work to be performed and estimating impacts of work and associated mitigation.
• Preparation and recording of daily work accomplishments.
• Ensuring permit compliance relative to pesticide activities and other environmental requirements.
• Engaging with and responding to customer concerns in the field.
Ideal Candidate’s Background Includes:
Applicants whose experience and background best match the ideal experience, knowledge, skills, abilities and education are considered ideal candidates for the position. To determine the top candidates, each applicant will be assessed based on the ideal candidate criteria listed below.
At least 6 years of increasingly responsible field maintenance experience in integrated vegetation management with experience leading or directing projects and performing vegetation control of invasive species and revegetation of native species.
At least 2 years of experience:
• Operating water trucks, compactors, dump trucks, skip loaders, forklifts, trenchers, Bobcats, etc.
• Herbicide application projects.
• In-stream vegetation removal project on a creek.
• Applying plant identification knowledge on the job site.
Ideal Skills and Abilities:
• Lead, organize, and review the work of staff.
• Instruct assigned staff in work methods and procedures.
• Interpret, explain, and enforce applicable policies and procedures.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Determine materials and staffing required for integrated vegetation management projects and programs.
• Supervise and coordinate assigned field projects.
• Read and interpret construction drawings and specifications.
• Inspect field work and ensure compliance with established policies and procedures.
• Maintain accurate records and prepare reports of work performed.
• Operate a variety of equipment and vehicles.
Some Knowledge of:
Principles of supervision and training.
Working Knowledge of:
• Vegetation types, plant identification and herbicides.
• Methods to manage vegetation including mowing, hand removal, pruning, herbicide application, tree removal, planting, watering, etc.
• A wide variety of integrated vegetation management activities, including, but not limited to planting native plants, control and eradication of non-native/invasive plants, applying herbicides, operation of vehicles, power tools and hand tools in the completion of these tasks.
• Proper tools and equipment needed to perform tasks including hand saws, pruning shears, loppers, shovels, rakes, pole pruners, hammers, wrenches, crowbars, screwdrivers, etc. Power equipment could include weed eaters, chainsaws, power trimmers, air compressors, generators, small tractors, weed mowers, forklifts, etc.
• Methods and techniques of herbicide mixing and application (backpack, hose and handgun, truck mounted boom, cut stump treatment, checking wind speed, avoiding drift and off target movement, etc.).
Ideal Training and Education:
• Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade.
• Coursework in Agricultural Sciences, Botany, or Horticulture is a plus.
Required License or Certificate
Possession of a Qualified Applicator Certificate or Qualified Applicator License in Categories C & F issued by the State of California’s Department of Pesticide Regulation.
Must have a satisfactory driving record and possess a valid Class B California driver’s license and required air brake endorsements (Class A license with airbrakes and tanker endorsement is preferred). To review the Classification Specification, please click http://apps2.valleywater.org/About_Us/_Jobs/Salary_and_classification/_Spec_PDFs/Senior Maintenance Worker – 5-2019.pdf https://get.adobe.com/reader/
(1) The selection process may include one or more of the following: application review, application assessment, performance exercise, written exercise and/or interview.
(2) The Employment Application, Qualifying Information Questions and/or Supplemental Questions will be evaluated based on the ideal candidate criteria listed above. Resumes are highly recommended.
NOTE: Position and start date is subject to availability of funds. Valley Water retains the right to repost this position as deemed necessary.
Consideration may be given to existing applicant pools within the same classification.
Valley Water’s Equal Opportunity Non-Discrimination Policy is available for review upon request.
Valley Water will make reasonable efforts in the examination process to accommodate persons with disabilities. Please advise Human Resources in advance of any special needs by calling 408-630-2260.
Please be aware that once submitted all application materials become the property of Valley Water and will not be returned. Human Resources staff are not authorized to make copies of application materials for applicants.
To apply, please visit https://apptrkr.com/2461007
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
See Job Description