Opens online at www.ebmud.com/jobs on Monday, April 5, 2021
Online applications must be received by 4:30 p.m., Friday, April 23, 2021
Internal Reference # 21-045
The Senior Environmental Health and Safety Specialists assist the Manager of Workplace Health and Safety by providing oversight of key components of the East Bay Municipal Utility District’s (EBMUD’s) Workplace Health and Safety (WHS) Programs, such as hearing conservation, asbestos, electrical safety, respiratory protection, and confined space; assisting in the overall program planning and evaluation; performing safety investigations, reporting unsafe or hazardous working conditions and recommending corrective action; and other duties as required. Functional oversight over Workplace Health and Safety Specialists is provided on a project basis.
Important aspects of the position include:
• Directs, leads, and oversees the work of assigned staff, technicians, and consultants; provides technical assistance and trains staff in areas of assigned expertise.
• Initiates, develops, and implements OSHA written programs and projects within the workplace health and safety function.
• Determines project scope, assembles, and leads interdisciplinary teams to improve or update EBMUD defined standards, documentation, and/or processes and procedures in new, complex, and/or specialized areas of workplace health and safety.
• Conducts general and specific training for employees to promote a safe and healthy work environment; develops new formats and content for use in educating EBMUD staff on compliance procedures for new or revised regulations relating to workplace health and safety issues; reviews training provided by other Specialist staff and or contract providers.
• Oversees or personally provides contract administration for assigned specialty program areas including locating service providers, explaining and preparing scope of service agreements and contracts, reviewing bid submittals, preparing Board documents, recommending budgets and schedules, tracking and recommending expenditures authorization, and providing technical guidance and direction to assigned consultant or contract staff.
The salary range is $10,455 per month increasing to $10,978, $11,527, $12,103 and $12,708 after 6, 18, 30, and 42 months, respectively.
EBMUD offers an excellent benefits program that includes: paid vacation, holidays and sick leave; family health insurance coverage; family dental and vision care plans; retirement plan (reciprocal with CalPERS); 401(k), 401(a) and 457(b) tax-deferred retirement plans; transit subsidy; tuition reimbursement; and opportunities for professional growth including training and career development.
1. Bachelor’s degree with major work in environmental science, industrial hygiene, safety engineering, chemistry, biology, toxicology, engineering, or a closely related field and, EITHER
2a. Two years of experience equivalent to Environmental Health and Safety Specialist II, OR
2b. Four years of experience in one or a combination of the following: workplace health and safety including accident prevention, evaluation, investigation, and safety training, or environmental compliance investigation and reporting, or enforcement of regulations which involved the review of water, wastewater or air pollution control industrial processes. Experience may require demonstrated expertise or specialization relevant to the position vacancy.
3. Must possess the physical characteristics to perform the critical and important duties of the job.
4. Must be willing to work overtime and standby as needed.
5. Must be willing to work under adverse conditions while collecting samples or conducting field studies.
6. Must possess a valid California driver’s license.