Resident Construction Inspector
Salary: $8,677.07 – $11,105.47 Monthly
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Number: 01290-E
Location: CA, CA
Department: Water Utility Capital
Closing: 6/23/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
NOTE Regarding Salary: A 4% COLA (Cost of Living Adjustment) will apply as of 6-28-21
Construction Services Unit (Position Codes 0360, 1067, 1068 – 3 positions available)
Do you have experience working as a Resident Construction Inspector on public works projects or in the construction industry? Are you knowledgeable and skilled in Electrical, Control Systems, or Civil, and Mechanical Inspections? Do you have experience monitoring environmental compliance and have knowledge of safety and construction codes? If so, read on! Valley Water is seeking to fill multiple Resident Construction Inspection positions!
Valley Water is the primary water resource agency for Santa Clara County, supplying wholesale water, providing flood protection, and serving as environmental steward for clean, safe creeks and healthy ecosystems. Valley Water serves approximately two million people in 15 cities: Campbell, Cupertino, Gilroy, Los Altos, Milpitas, Monte Sereno, Morgan Hill, Mt. View, Palo Alto, San Jose, Santa Clara, Saratoga and Sunnyvale, and the towns of Los Altos Hills and Los Gatos, and manages 10 dams and surface water reservoirs, three water treatment plants, a state-of-the-art water quality laboratory, 400 acres of groundwater recharge ponds, and 275 miles of streams.
The Resident Construction Inspectors will be responsible for performing onsite construction inspection duties for capital projects in support of Valley Water’s flood control, water quality and production, water storage, and recycled water projects. These positions may be involved with projects requiring civil, mechanical, electrical or control systems inspections. They will prepare a variety of reports, correspondence, and documentation, and will be responsible for performing a variety of duties relative to the assigned areas of responsibility. These positions require working independently and is the journey level class within the Construction Inspector series.
Additionally, all Valley Water employees are considered Disaster Service Workers and may be called on to report to an Emergency Operation Center during a disaster.
Note: Three (3) positions are available – One (1) of the positions will focus on projects consisting mainly of an electrical and/or control systems scope of work.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Review and interpret plans and specifications; note errors and deviations from standards, specifications, and drawings and confer with contractors’ representatives and project engineers regarding materials or methods; ensure that appropriate action is taken; may perform Davis-Bacon interviews for federally funded projects.
• Direct and guide the work of external contractors to ensure compliance with plans, specifications for construction materials, methods, equipment, workmanship, prevailing wage laws, and Valley Water policies and procedures.
• Monitor work site safety programs to ensure compliance with Valley Water requirements; attend various training classes for confined space, hazardous materials, and other occupational health and safety programs.
• Coordinate field or laboratory materials testing for fluids, sand, aggregate, soils, concrete, asphalt, coatings, welding, and other materials to ensure compliance with project standards; document and provide results to contractor; maintain testing reports.
• Use construction management software to prepare documentation on construction and inspection activities including description of work performed, average work force and hours work, equipment and materials used, inspections performed, supplemental work authorized, problems encountered, weather, site visitors, environmental compliance issues in daily and weekly inspection records and daily diaries and photographs.
Ideal Candidate’s Background Includes:
Applicants whose experience and background best match the ideal experience, knowledge, skills, abilities, and education are considered ideal candidates for the position. To determine the top candidates, each applicant will be assessed based on the ideal candidate criteria as listed below.
Ideal Candidate’s Background Includes:
• Four (4) or more years of recent experience as a construction inspector on public works projects in a lead role.
• Experience in inspecting job sites related to flood control, flood protection, pipelines, water resources, and/or at water treatment plants.
• Experience with monitoring environmental compliance.
Ideal Experience for Electrical and Control Systems Related Projects (strongly desired for only one of the three positions):
• Experience with electrical and control system inspections.
• Working knowledge of the National Electrical Code.
• Familiarity with NFPA-70E (electrical safety in the workplace).
• Familiarity with Arc Flash safety protocols.
• Experience monitoring installation of mechanical and electrical equipment.
• Knowledge of principles and practices of construction and workplace safety requirements.
• Common desktop applications and use of Construction Management software
• Methods, materials, equipment, and techniques used in the construction of flood control and water storage and distribution facilities.
• Methods and techniques of mechanical installation including process piping, pumps, valves, and of electrical installation including circuitry, lighting, and related controls.
• Hazardous material regulations and procedures.
• Specialized construction inspection equipment, tools, and apparatus such as air monitors and noise monitors.
• Methods and techniques of construction code enforcement.
• Local, state, and national construction codes such as the American Society for Testing and Materials International (ASTM) standards.
• Storm water pollution prevention program rules and regulations including the Storm Water Pollution.
• Confined space regulations.
• Understanding of electrical principles, control systems, and high voltage meters strongly desired/preferred.
Ideal Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to understand and interpret contracts.
• Mathematical skills to evaluate and calculate the progress of a project.
• Ability to read and interpret plans and specifications.
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely.
• Ability to build and maintain working relationships with external and internal parties.
Ideal Training and Education:
Equivalent to completion of the twelfth grade supplemented by vocational or college coursework in project management or construction trades.
Required License or Certificate
Must be able to obtain appropriate confined space certification.
Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid California driver’s license. Individuals who do not meet the driver’s license requirement due to a disability will be considered for a reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis. Selected candidates will be required to pass a pre-employment medical examination.
To review the Classification Specification, please click http://apps2.valleywater.org/About_Us/_Jobs/Salary_and_classification/_Spec_PDFs/Construction Inspector Series – 5-2019.pdf https://get.adobe.com/reader/
(1) The selection process may include one or more of the following: application review, application assessment, performance exercise, written exercise and/or interview.
(2) The Employment Application, Qualifying Information Questions and/or Supplemental Questions will be evaluated based on the ideal candidate criteria listed above. Resumes are highly recommended.
NOTE: Position and start date is subject to availability of funds. Valley Water retains the right to repost this position as deemed necessary.
Consideration may be given to existing applicant pools within the same classification.
Valley Water’s Equal Opportunity Non-Discrimination Policy is available for review upon request.
Valley Water will make reasonable efforts in the examination process to accommodate persons with disabilities. Please advise Human Resources in advance of any special needs by calling 408-630-2260.
Please be aware that once submitted all application materials become the property of Valley Water and will not be returned. Human Resources staff are not authorized to make copies of application materials for applicants.
To apply, please visit https://apptrkr.com/2293569
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
See Job Description