Opens online at www.ebmud.com/jobs on Monday, August 23, 2021
Online applications must be received by 4:30 p.m., Friday, August 27, 2021
Internal Reference # 21-122T
Application materials can only be submitted online beginning at 8:00 a.m. Wednesday, August 25, 2021 and submitted by 4:30 p.m. Friday, August 27, 2021.
East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD) invites qualified applicants to apply for Limited Term (LT) positions (up to 2 years) in the Maintenance Support Division. Under minimal supervision, Meter Reader/Mechanics read water meters in an assigned area to record water consumption for a given period, investigate and resolve meter maintenance, make repairs, and complete replacements of 1” and smaller water meters.
Typical duties include:
• Reading several styles of water meters in an assigned area, in varied neighborhoods including residential, commercial, and industrial areas and terrains, and in all weather conditions.
• Recording meter readings.
• Comparing the current reading with prior readings to determine accuracy and appropriateness of reading.
• Determining if there is readily apparent cause and reports the reason for unusual conditions where consumption seems out of line with seasonal demand and rate of previous consumption.
• Checking for inoperative, defaced, or bypassed meters and for street, house, or meter number changes.
• Completing forms to alert the customer as a courtesy, when consumption is unusually high; initiating field orders to repair damaged meters or to report street leaks or unsafe conditions for which East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD) is responsible.
• Answering questions regarding meter reading, customer billing, or consumption; referring the customer to the proper EBMUD unit if additional information is requested.
• Repairing, replacing, and testing water meters 1” in size and smaller in the field including automatic reading meters and related equipment.
• Performing meter maintenance functions to improve meter readability.
• Cleaning, setting, and replacing meter boxes and lids.
• Keeping records of meter repairs and replacements that are completed, in progress, and planned.
NOTE: The recruitment for this temporary position will not result in the establishment of a civil service list.
1. Completion of twelfth grade, or its equivalent; and
2. Possession of a valid California driver’s license and a satisfactory driving record.
• Must possess physical characteristics to perform the critical and important duties of the job, including stamina to walk 7 to 12 miles a day; and climb embankments, stairs, and fences to four feet; agility to crawl through narrow spaces; and to bend 200 times per day
• Must be willing to work alone, in a variety of weather conditions, and where hostile dogs and people may be encountered
• Must be willing to work overtime as needed
• While the position does not require prior experience, previous experience or background working independently outdoors in a variety of weather conditions is highly desirable.