Under general supervision, a Materials Specialist coordinates the acquisition, receipts, storage, inventory, transportation, issuance and recording of materials, supplies, tools, parts or equipment used in a large water utility or wastewater treatment facility. The current vacancy is in the East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD) Wastewater facility.
The ideal candidate will be a certified forklift operator and have experience:
• researching price and specification information from vendors over the telephone, internet sites, catalogs, equipment drawings and manuals in order to supply EBMUD’s materials needs.
• understanding and following EBMUD’s purchasing guidelines by referring to EBMUD’s purchasing procedures in order to maintain standard purchasing processes.
• following up on orders by contacting vendors over the telephone, in person, fax, e-mail and through written correspondence in order to obtain ordered materials on time.
• utilizing purchase card as necessary and tracking expenditures.
• entering reconciliation data into database.
• coordinating and preparing requisitions for materials, tools, parts, supplies and equipment.
• maintaining a cumulative list of local vendors.
• acting as liaison with local vendors.
• obtaining data and information from local vendors and service providers.
• maintaining inventory of materials, supplies and equipment.
• making necessary stock level adjustments, establishing re-order points, insuring inventory
• movements are entered into the computer or manually recorded.
• picking up and delivering materials, parts, supplies and equipment from various places to prevent work delays or to enhance productivity.
• preparing materials for shipment by properly packaging and labeling and contracting the proper shipping source in order to effectively ship materials.
• unpacking and inspecting deliveries for damages and completeness of orders.
• storing materials, parts and supplies received in a logical and orderly fashion.
• maintaining records of purchases, requisitions, invoices, inventory records, work orders, vendor files, annual purchase orders, hazardous materials, material safety data sheets, memos, letters and other related documents.
• providing lead work to storekeepers, materials handlers, stock clerks including training, assignment and review of work.
• performing clerical work associated with purchasing, requisitioning, inventory, storekeeping, and other functions.
• operating a forklift to load, unload, move and stock materials, supplies and equipment in both enclosed and open storage areas.
• maintaining the work area in a clean, safe, and orderly condition.
1. Completion of twelfth grade, or its equivalent, and
2. Three years of increasingly responsible storekeeping experience two years of which must have been at the level of EBMUD’s Storekeeper II classification.
3. Possession of a valid California driver's license with a satisfactory driving record.
4. Physical characteristics to perform the critical and important duties of the job, including dexterity, stamina, and physical strength to load and unload materials of various bulk and weight, including lifting objects weighing up to 100 pounds.
5. Willingness to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions, and work overtime as needed.