Labor Relations Specialist II
Salary: $10,204.13 – $13,067.60 Monthly
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Number: 01342-E
Location: CA, CA
Department: Chief Operating Officer – IT and Administrative Services
Closing: 9/27/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
Labor Relations Unit (Position Code 0064) Overview:
Do you enjoy collaborating with managers and unions to create an efficient and effective workplace? Do you have experience conducting workplace investigations, interacting with unions, interpreting contracts, and providing sound advice to all parties? If so, check out this great opportunity!
The Labor Relations Specialist II will assist the Labor Relations Manager in the development and implementation of Valley Water’s labor relations program. They will provide professional and analytical assistance in the administration and management of the full range of labor relations services to Valley Water’s management staff. The Labor Relations Specialist II will also be responsible for supporting performance management; discipline; contract and policy interpretation and compliance; compliance with local, state, and federal employment and labor laws; principles of sound personnel management; and the grievance and complaint resolution procedures.
Special and ongoing projects will include research on a variety of labor related topics and supporting the meet and confer process.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Research and investigate assigned discipline cases.
• Consult with and provide advice to Valley Water managers on contract interpretation, performance issues, Valley Water policies.
• Interpret and apply MOU’s , regulations, and labor laws.
• MOU negotiations- provide support and serve on team.
• Develop complex, sensitive, confidential memos.
• Research, analyze, and evaluate critical legislation on numerous issues including pensions and medical plans.
• Participate in joint Labor- Management committees.
Ideal Candidate’s Background Includes:
Applicants whose experience and background best match the ideal experience, knowledge, skills, abilities, and education are considered ideal candidates for the position. To determine the top candidates, each applicant will be assessed based on the ideal candidate criteria listed below.
5 years of experience:
• Conducting workplace investigations ensuring adherence to labor/union contracts.
• Interpreting and applying MOU’s, regulations, and labor laws.
• Providing professional advice and counsel to management/supervisors on employee and labor relations issues and employee engagement efforts and projects in support of a high-performance workplace.
• Administratively supporting a team involved in MOU negotiations by conducting research and performing data analytics, in addition to taking meetings notes/minutes by utilizing tools such as Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint.
• Handling confidential and sensitive matters with discretion and professionalism.
• Researching market trends with the ability to translate back to the business.
Ideal Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
• Organizational, analytical, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, with proven research capabilities.
• Excellent judgment in responding to requests (employee relations/ recruitment).
• Demonstrated ability and adaptability when dealing with varying situations.
• Superior customer service skills.
• Ability to develop strong working/professional relationships with managers, staff throughout Valley Water, and the Bargaining Units and their leaders.
• Ability to handle confidential and sensitive matters with discretion and professionalism.
• Highly developed skills associated with conflict resolution.
• Employee relations practices and programs.
• Union/labor contracts within the public sector, and exposure Wage Order 5 and the negotiation process.
• Knowledge of applicable state and federal laws and regulations.
• Dispute resolution and grievance procedures in addition to administering and ensuring adherence to labor/union contracts would be a plus.
• Unions: their purpose and goals/processes.
• Methods of conducting workplace investigations.
Ideal Training and Education:
Equivalent to graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in human resources management, organizational development, industrial or organizational psychology, public or business administration, or a related field.
Directly related experience may be substituted for the college requirement on the basis of one and one-half years of experience for one year of education to a maximum of four years.
HR Certificate and/or SHRM certificate is preferred.
Required License or Certificate
Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid California driver’s license. Individuals who do not meet the driver’s license requirement due to a disability will be considered for a reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis. To review the Classification Specification, please click http://apps2.valleywater.org/About_Us/_Jobs/Salary_and_classification/_Spec_PDFs/Labor Relations Specialist I-II – 5-2019.pdf https://get.adobe.com/reader/
(1) The selection process may include one or more of the following: application review, application assessment, performance exercise, written exercise and/or interview.
(2) The Employment Application, Qualifying Information Questions and/or Supplemental Questions will be evaluated based on the ideal candidate criteria listed above. Resumes are highly recommended.
NOTE: Position and start date is subject to availability of funds. Valley Water retains the right to repost this position as deemed necessary.
Consideration may be given to existing applicant pools within the same classification.
Valley Water’s Equal Opportunity Non-Discrimination Policy is available for review upon request.
Valley Water will make reasonable efforts in the examination process to accommodate persons with disabilities. Please advise Human Resources in advance of any special needs by calling 408-630-2260.
Please be aware that once submitted all application materials become the property of Valley Water and will not be returned. Human Resources staff are not authorized to make copies of application materials for applicants.
To apply, please visit https://apptrkr.com/2489636
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
See Job Description