Salary: $8,378.93 – $10,731.07 Monthly
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Number: 01309-E
Location: CA, CA
Department: Raw Water
Closing: 7/27/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
Groundwater Management Unit (Position Code 0274) Overview:The Hydrographer II in the Groundwater Management Unit will collect and analyze data to support sustainable groundwater management. The Hydrographer will conduct field monitoring of groundwater levels, land subsidence, groundwater quality, and groundwater-surface water interaction with a focus on safety and accurate data collection. Using analytical tools and databases, the Hydrographer will enter, validate, analyze, and interpret groundwater data. Another key responsibility of this position is to maintain groundwater monitoring network equipment and instruments and to help identify improvements needed.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Safely, effectively, and independently conducting field monitoring to collect data on groundwater levels, land subsidence, groundwater quality, and groundwater/surface water interaction. Preparing and maintaining accurate records of monitoring networks and data collected. Communicating with supervisor and other staff in a timely manner on issues related to the collection and processing of field data.
• Processing, validating, analyzing, and interpreting groundwater data using analytical tools and databases.
• Operating, troubleshooting, and maintaining groundwater monitoring equipment like electric sounders, pressure transducers, dataloggers, telemetry systems, and submersible pumps.
• Assisting with monitoring network optimization and development of standard operating procedures.
Ideal Candidate’s Background Includes:
Applicants whose experience and background best match the ideal experience, knowledge, skills, abilities, and education are considered ideal candidates for the position. To determine the top candidates, each applicant will be assessed based on the ideal candidate criteria listed below.
• Three (3) years of experience making groundwater level measurements, collecting groundwater and surface water quality samples, or making other water measurements using various equipment and methods. At least two (2) years out of the 3 years of experience should be in groundwater monitoring.
• Strong experience and skills using, calibrating, troubleshooting, and maintaining groundwater monitoring instruments like electric sounders, pressure gauges, pressure transducers, dataloggers, telemetry, and submersible pumps.
• Proficiency managing and analyzing data using Microsoft Excel, Access, and databases. Experience interpreting groundwater data is a plus.
Ideal Skills and Abilities:
• Safely and independently conduct groundwater and surface water monitoring using a variety of equipment and methods.
• Operate and maintain field and office equipment for gathering and analyzing groundwater and surface water data such as pressure transducers, dataloggers, telemetry systems, and submersible pumps.
• Compile, validate, and interpret groundwater and surface water data using Microsoft Excel and other computer programs.
• Maintain groundwater monitoring network wells and related equipment using common hand tools including screw drivers, wrenches, pliers, saws, and power drills.
• Prepare and record accurate, clear, and concise field notes, observations, and reports.
• Create, read, and interpret maps, charts, graphs, plans, drawings, schematics, and diagrams.
• Respond to information from Valley Water employees and outside customers.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Conduct assigned duties in the field during the full range of typical yearly weather types (heat, cold, rain, wind).
• Proven track record of working effectively both independently and in a team environment.
• Strong analytical, problem solving, and critical thinking skills.
• Experience establishing and maintaining positive relationships with property owners, well owners, and members of the public.
• Basic principles and theories of hydrology and geology.
• Methods and techniques involved in gathering and analyzing data related to groundwater and surface water supply and use.
• Operation and maintenance of instruments used to gather and analyze groundwater and surface water data.
• Principles of mathematics including algebra and trigonometry.
• Principles of analytical report preparation.
Ideal Training and Education:
Equivalent to a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in geology, engineering, earth science, hydrology, or similar is preferred.
*Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
Required License or Certificate
Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid California driver’s license. Individuals who do not meet the driver’s license requirement due to a disability will be considered for a reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis. Selected candidate will be required to successfully pass a medical examination.
To review the Classification Specification, please click http://apps2.valleywater.org/About_Us/_Jobs/Salary_and_classification/_Spec_PDFs/Hydrographer I-II – 5-2019.pdf https://get.adobe.com/reader/
(1) The selection process may include one or more of the following: application review, application assessment, performance exercise, written exercise and/or interview.
(2) The Employment Application, Qualifying Information Questions and/or Supplemental Questions will be evaluated based on the ideal candidate criteria listed above. Resumes are highly recommended.
NOTE: Position and start date is subject to availability of funds. Valley Water retains the right to repost this position as deemed necessary.
Consideration may be given to existing applicant pools within the same classification.
Valley Water’s Equal Opportunity Non-Discrimination Policy is available for review upon request.
Valley Water will make reasonable efforts in the examination process to accommodate persons with disabilities. Please advise Human Resources in advance of any special needs by calling 1-408-630-2260.
Please be aware that once submitted all application materials become the property of Valley Water and will not be returned. Human Resources staff are not authorized to make copies of application materials for applicants.
To apply, please visit https://apptrkr.com/2365747
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
See Job Description