Opens online at www.ebmud.com/jobs on Monday, January 11, 2021
Online applications must be received by 4:30 p.m., Friday, January 29, 2021
Internal Reference # 21-001
An immediate position is available at East Bay Municipal Utility District’s (EBMUD) Pardee Center based at Pardee Reservoir near Valley Springs, approximately 85 miles from EBMUD headquarters in Oakland. Under general direction, the HPPO operates hydroelectric power plants and associated facilities. The Hydroelectric Power Plant Operator II (HPPO) monitors and responds to alarms both locally and from remote locations through a SCADA system for hydroelectric generators, raw water pumping plants, raw water aqueducts, river flow controls, water and wastewater treatment systems and equipment. HPPOs work a rotating combination of day and night shifts.
Typical duties include:
• Inspecting and performing preventive and minor maintenance to hydropower equipment and aqueduct raw water systems.
• Operating a computerized control center to monitor and control reservoirs, river flows, aqueducts, water and wastewater treatment plants and systems, chemical plants and related waterways relative to flows, pressures, levels, voltages, electrical loads, lake levels, river flows, chemical residuals and equipment operating conditions.
• Administering electro-mechanical lockout/tagout procedures including writing and hanging clearances, issuing danger tags and switching where required.
• Regulating electrical loads, river flows, aqueduct flows and storage conditions as required.
• Monitoring overall plant conditions through local instrumentation and walk-through inspections, identifying and reporting irregularities to the supervisor and creating and updating work orders in a computerized maintenance management system.
• Responding to emergency situations by performing emergency equipment repair, first aid and calling out designated standby supervisor or other standby staff and testing emergency equipment including emergency generators.
• Maintaining accurate operating records including electronic logs, electrical generation and ISO reports and recording and inputting meteorological data from field instrumentation.
• Ensuring that Pardee facilities are continuously supplied with electrical power through appropriate station or PG&E feeder switching.
• Answering, forwarding and dispatching radio and telephone traffic coming into the Pardee Area computer control center during routine operations and emergencies.
The ideal candidate will have experience with hydropower operations and electrical switching operations.
The salary range starts at $8,369 per month, increasing to $8,787, $9,226, and $9,687 after 12, 24, and 36 months, respectively.
EBMUD offers an excellent benefits program that includes: paid vacation, holidays and sick leave; family health insurance coverage; family dental and vision care plans; retirement plan (reciprocal with CalPERS); 401(k), 401(a) and 457(b) tax-deferred retirement plans; transit subsidy; tuition reimbursement; and opportunities for professional growth including training and career development.
1. A high school diploma or its equivalent.
2. Two years' experience operating or maintaining mechanical, electrical and electro-mechanical equipment similar to that utilized in a hydroelectric power plant.
3. Valid California driver's license with a satisfactory driving record.
4. Willingness to work rotating shifts or overtime as needed in a continuous (24/7) operation.
5. Ability to climb ladders to a height of 50 feet, work in cramped or awkward positions to repair equipment, and lift tools and equipment weighing up to 50 pounds.