Opens online at www.ebmud.com/jobs on Monday, August 30, 2021
Online applications must be received by 4:30 p.m., Friday, September 3, 2021
Internal Reference # 21-124
Only the first 200 qualified applications will be accepted by the Recruitment Division online at www.ebmud.com during the filing period.
Field Services Representative II’s make service calls on customers to perform a variety of service, investigation, and collection duties; including turning water on and off; investigating blocked meters, interconnections, high bill or leak complaints, and obtaining and providing a variety of customer service information. Incumbents receive occasional instruction or assistance as new or unusual situations arise, and must be fully aware of the operating procedures and policies of the work unit.
Typical duties may include:
• Visiting customer premises to locate, read and turn the meter on or off as required.
• Securing names, addresses and other information to complete water service forms.
• Inspecting meters, connections, plumbing fixtures and lines for leaks or damage.
• Investigating reports of unauthorized water consumption, interconnections and possible backflow to auxiliary water supplies.
• Determining reasons for low or no water complaints.
• Obtaining information required to determine the type of business or residence served and to ensure proper sewer code classification.
• Answering a variety of water service questions, often from irate or difficult customers.
• Determining if repairs are required and notifying the customer and/or the appropriate East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD) unit.
• Using a computerized routing system on a regular basis.
The ideal candidate will have previous experience dealing professionally, calmly and effectively with various people in stressful or difficult situations; excellent communication skills including the ability to interpret and explain complex procedures and policies; the ability to rapidly learn EBMUD water service policies and regulations, including water rate structures; experience working with computers; skill in reading water meters quickly and accurately; and the ability to work independently in the field with minimal supervision.
The salary range is $6,540 per month increasing to $6,867, $7,210, $7,571 and $7,950 after 6, 18, 30, and 42 months, respectively.
EBMUD offers an excellent benefits program that includes: paid vacation, holidays and sick leave; family health insurance coverage; family dental and vision care plans; retirement plan (reciprocal with CalPERS); 401(k), 401(a) and 457(b) tax-deferred retirement plans; transit subsidy; tuition reimbursement; and opportunities for professional growth including training and career development.
1. Completion of the twelfth grade or its equivalent.
2. Two years of office or field experience in which a major responsibility was the interpretation and enforcement of complex regulations and policies in order to resolve customer complaints; OR
3. Two years of meter reading experience.
4. Possession of a valid California driver’s license and a satisfactory driving record.