Environmental, Health and Safety Technician (Safety Technician)
Salary: $7,976.80 – $10,204.13 Monthly
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Number: 01307-E
Location: CA, CA
Department: Safety, Emergency and Security
Closing: 7/20/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
Environmental, Health and Safety Unit (Position Code 0736)
Overview:We are seeking an Environmental Health & Safety Technician to join Valley Water’s Environmental, Health & Safety Unit. The Safety Technician will provide administrative and technical support for the Valley Water-wide health and safety programs; including, assisting with assignments associated with facilities environmental compliance. The Safety Technician will perform technical and administrative duties associated with managing programs related to occupational safety, industrial hygiene, environmental issues, health issues, fire protection, hazardous waste and hazardous materials storage and handling, biological safety, and/or other closely related environmental, health and safety (EH&S) subject areas.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Perform miscellaneous administrative functions as related to EH&S programs.
• Coordinate and schedule monthly Safety Committee meetings.
• Manage EH&S filing systems for various programs to ensure record retention schedules are being met.
• Conduct facility environmental, health & safety compliance inspections and manage Valley Water’s inspection software program.
• Create EH&S inspection metrics for the Valley Water Employee Safety Committee and Management Leadership Team.
• Assist professional staff in creating, maintaining, and ensuring compliance with environmental, health and safety programs.
• Determine needed safety equipment for Valley Water staff, and purchase and issue the safety equipment.
• Conduct environmental, health and safety technical training to staff.
• Write and submit purchase requests for the unit and pay invoices for vendors.
• Research/write technical informational articles for Valley Water-wide distribution.
• Ordering and distributing office supplies.
• Taking and posting minutes for Safety Committee.
• Perform related administrative duties and responsibilities as required.
Ideal Candidate’s Background Includes:
Applicants whose experience and background best match the ideal experience, knowledge, skills, abilities, and education are considered ideal candidates for the position. To determine the top candidates, each applicant will be assessed based on the ideal candidate criteria listed below.
• Two (2) years of administrative, field maintenance, or general clerical experience.
• Two (2) years of experience providing safety technical support for safety projects.
Equivalent to an associate degree program in occupational safety, industrial hygiene, safety engineering, or a closely related field at an accredited college or university may be substituted for the required experience.
Ideal Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Principles and practices of recordkeeping and database management.
• Experience in ordering and purchasing materials and supplies.
• Researching, collecting, compiling, and summarizing information/data.
• Experience with organizing and scheduling meetings, compiling, and distributing meeting agendas and taking meeting minutes.
• Basic principles and practices of training.
• Grammar, punctuation, spelling, and vocabulary.
• Basic mathematics to make calculations, including addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, averages, and percentages.
• General knowledge of safety practices, policies, and procedures.
Ideal Training and Education:
Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade and one year (at least 24 college semester units) in industrial safety, construction technology, environmental sciences, engineering, physics, chemistry, or a related field or a closely related field.
Required License or Certificate
Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid California driver’s license. Individuals who do not meet the driver’s license requirement due to a disability will be considered for a reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis. Selected candidate will be required to successfully pass a medical examination. To review the Classification Specification, please click http://apps2.valleywater.org/About_Us/_Jobs/Salary_and_classification/_Spec_PDFs/EHS Technician – 5-2019.pdf https://get.adobe.com/reader/
(1) The selection process may include one or more of the following: application review, application assessment, performance test, written test and/or oral interview examination.(2) The Employment Application, Qualifying Information Questions and/or Supplemental Questions will be evaluated for minimum qualifications. Resumes are recommended. NOTE: Position and start date is subject to availability of funds. Valley Water retains the right to repost this position as deemed necessary.
Consideration may be given to existing applicant pools within the same classification. Valley Water’s Equal Opportunity Non-Discrimination Policy is available for review upon request. Valley Water will make reasonable efforts in the examination process to accommodate persons with disabilities. Please advise Human Resources in advance of any special needs by calling 408-630-2260. Please be aware that once submitted all application materials become the property of the District and will not be returned. Human Resources staff is not authorized to make copies of application materials for applicants.
To apply, please visit https://apptrkr.com/2354159
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
See Job Description