Opens online at www.ebmud.com/jobs on Monday, September 6, 2021
Online applications must be received by 4:30 p.m., Friday, September 24, 2021
Internal Reference # 21-126
East Bay Municipal Utility District’s (EBMUD’s) Construction Division, part of the Engineering and Construction Department, is seeking a highly qualified individual with exceptional technical, interpersonal, and communication skills.
The Assistant Land Surveyor Supervisor reports directly to the Land Surveyor Supervisor and oversees staff performing various surveying functions. Responsibilities may include scheduling and supervising up to six survey crews, providing professional direction on boundary surveys and the preparation of Record of Survey maps, or overseeing office support technicians and drafters who use CAD while preparing right-of-way maps and construction stakeout information; preparing legal descriptions, topographic maps, and other survey work products.
The ideal candidate is prepared to:
• Review survey requests; direct the compilation of necessary information prior to field work.
• Schedule and assign survey field crews or survey office staff; prepare time and cost estimates; conduct preliminary investigations.
• Review construction drawings to determine required survey work and provide direction to staff prior to construction surveys.
• Brief the chiefs of party and/or office staff; monitor and report progress of projects and provide solutions for difficult survey issues.
• Supervise and review the reduction and analysis of field data along with the preparation of maps and legal descriptions.
• Contact public agencies and private surveyors to secure survey information.
• Monitor developments in the field of surveying; assist in developing and maintaining computer applications.
• Recommend and implement improved work procedures; assist in directing the training of survey personnel.
• Assist in preparing the section budget; prepare and maintain reports and records as required.
• Respond to changing demands with flexibility and innovation.
• Manage and prioritize multiple competing interests with diplomacy and tact.
• Establish and implement performance, safety, and quality control standards.
• Communicate effectively orally and in writing.
The most competitive candidates will have demonstrated ability to prioritize and schedule multiple staff and crews in order to maintain efficient operations, strong background in Record of Survey preparation, proven leadership skills and abilities, and the ability to handle complex technical and other problems.
The salary range is $10,448 per month increasing to $10,970, $11,518, and $12,094 after 6, 18, and 30 months, respectively.
EBMUD offers an excellent benefits program that includes: paid vacation, holidays and sick leave; family health insurance coverage; family dental and vision care plans; retirement plan (reciprocal with CalPERS); 401(k), 401(a) and 457(b) tax-deferred retirement plans; transit subsidy; tuition reimbursement; and opportunities for professional growth including training and career development.
1. A high school diploma, including a course in trigonometry.
2. Two years of experience as a chief of a field survey party *.
3. Possession of a valid California license as a Land Surveyor.
4. A valid California driver’s license with a satisfactory driving record.
5. Physical characteristics to perform the critical and important duties of the position.
6. Willingness to work beyond normal work hours when needed.
*An undergraduate or graduate level degree in a directly related field such as civil engineering, surveying, geomatics, geospatial science, geographical information systems, drafting/mapping, or mathematics may be substituted for one year of experience.