Accountant I/II (Limited Term)
Salary: See Position Description
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Number: 01338-LT
Location: CA, CA
Department: Financial Planning and Management Services
Closing: 9/6/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
General Accounting Unit (Position Code LT023 – LIMITED TERM POSITION – Up to Two (2) Years)
Accountant I: $7,404.80 – $9,476.13 monthly
Accountant II: $8,586.93 – $10,994.53 monthly
The Accountant I/II in the General Accounting Unit will primarily be supporting Payroll functions. The ideal candidate will be detail-oriented and able to prioritize tasks in a fast-paced environment with a goal of providing these services in an effective and efficient manner, and ensure the work is done accurately and timely.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Perform routine payroll and general ledger reconciliations.
• Remit state and federal taxes per pay period.
• Remit employee and employer’s contributions to CalPERS.
• Review other reconciliations performed by payroll staff.
• Serve as a payroll back up.
Ideal Candidate’s Background Includes:
Applicants whose experience and background best match the ideal experience, knowledge, skills, abilities and education are considered ideal candidates for the position. To determine the top candidates, each applicant will be assessed based on the ideal candidate criteria listed below.
1 or more year of experience in professional accounting specifically in the area of payroll functions such as payroll/GL reconciliations, remitting state and federal taxes and employee/employer contributions to retirement funds, preferably in the public sector.
4 or more years of experience in professional accounting specifically in the area of payroll functions such as payroll/GL reconciliations, remitting state and federal taxes and employee/employer contributions to retirement funds, preferably in the public sector.
Ideal Experience for Accountant I/II Level:
• Experience in a lead role or backup support in processing a full cycle payroll.
• Experience working with financial systems such as PeopleSoft.
• Exposure to a variety of accounting areas is preferred.
Ideal Skills and Abilities:
• Independently perform the full range of professional accounting functions related to payroll.
• Prepare a variety of clear and concise financial summaries and accounting reports.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with a customer service focus.
• Ability to meet assigned deadlines.
• Ability to act and operate independently with minimal daily direction.
• Highly detail oriented and organized.
• Accurately tabulate, record, and balance assigned transactions.
• Audit, reconcile, and balance assigned accounts.
• Identify and correct accounting errors.
• Maintain a variety of financial records and files.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
• Learn new tasks and be a team player with the willingness to fill the gaps when needed.
• Payroll processing and reconciliation process.
• Processing General Ledger transactions.
• Methods and techniques of governmental accounting and financial management.
• Principles and practices of financial analysis and auditing.
Ideal Training and Education:
Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, public administration or business.
LIMITED TERM POSITION:
The assignment period will be up to 2 years and such time period may be adjusted as needed by Valley Water management.
• If the limited-term appointee is internally hired and released from the position prior to the end of the time period, the appointee will be subject to Valley Water’s reassignment process and/or appropriate Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) layoff provisions.
• An internally hired limited-term appointee will be covered by the EA MOU and eligible for all pay and benefits described in the MOU.
• An externally hired limited-term appointee will be considered “at-will” and may be terminated at any time with or without cause.
An externally hired limited-term appointee will be covered by the EA MOU and eligible for all pay and benefits described in the MOU with the exception of the following articles/sections:
• Article 3, Section 10: Temporary Promotion Pay
• Article 3, Section 11: Out-of-Class Assignment
• Article 6, Section 4(D): Deferred Compensation (Limited-term appointees may participate in Valley Water’s 457 deferred compensation program however they will be ineligible for Valley Water matching funds and participation in Valley Water’s 401(a) plan)
• Article 8: Leaves of Absence (Valley Water will provide a leave of absence as required by law under the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), California Family Rights Act (CFRA) and Pregnancy Disability Leave (PDL))
• Article 11: Workforce Development
• Article 12: Employee Performance/Evaluation
• Article 13: Classification
• Article 14: Discipline Process
• Article 16: Layoff
Required License or Certificate
Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid California driver’s license. Individuals who do not meet the driver’s license requirement due to a disability will be considered for a reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis.
To review the Classification Specification, please click http://apps2.valleywater.org/About_Us/_Jobs/Salary_and_classification/_Spec_PDFs/Accountant I-II – 5-2019.pdf https://get.adobe.com/reader/
(1) The selection process may include one or more of the following: application review, application assessment, performance exercise, written exercise and/or interview.
(2) The Employment Application, Qualifying Information Questions and/or Supplemental Questions will be evaluated based on the ideal candidate criteria listed above. Resumes are highly recommended.
NOTE: Position and start date is subject to availability of funds. Valley Water retains the right to repost this position as deemed necessary.
Consideration may be given to existing applicant pools within the same classification.
Valley Water’s Equal Opportunity Non-Discrimination Policy is available for review upon request.
Valley Water will make reasonable efforts in the examination process to accommodate persons with disabilities. Please advise Human Resources in advance of any special needs by calling 1-408-630-2260.
Please be aware that once submitted all application materials become the property of Valley Water and will not be returned. Human Resources staff are not authorized to make copies of application materials for applicants.
To apply, please visit https://apptrkr.com/2463586
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
See Position Description